Blog Updates sent via Email

It is now possible to receive blog updates via email. Once a day, you will receive an single convenient email with all the updates from the previous 24 hours. No updates, no email. No spam, no ads, all blog and only blog.

To subscribe to this service, click the following link, enter the email address you want to use and you will get a confirmation email sent there. Confirm the email and you will be subscribed. There is an unsubscribe link included in every email.

Subscribe to Macalester-Plymouth Youth Mission News by Email

Sunday, June 15, 2014

Last Pictures from Norm

I have uploaded the last of my pictures from our morning at Second Harvest to the picture site (link to the right). We sorted and boxed up drinks and then got a tour of the facility. When they rebuilt, they added extra space to their frig and freezer and they rent the space to other organizations (as a matter of fact, one of their refrigerators is completely used by a wine distributor.)  The rental income from these coolers completely pays their mortgage expenses.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

So I couldn't figure out how to post an actual post on the blog...so this will be how I contribute to the blog.

This trip has been a truly amazing experience. I honestly could not have asked for a better way to start out my summer. Y'all made the trip for me and I am so grateful that I got to know each and every one of you better.

I have come to realize on this journey down to New Orleans that there is so much more to rebuilding a community than rebuilding homes. The only way to rebuild a city that has gone through as much as New Orleans is to really focus on every little detail; whether it be hammering a hole in a wall, weeding a garden, or befriending the residents at the Magnolia community center, everything we accomplished this week was of benefit to someone in New Orleans.

I also have come to realize that these Mission Trips have an impact on the people we help, but I think more-so those who are helping. This year I was able to perceive New Orleans in a completely different light than before. From this trip I have come to understand that while the work we do is significant and necessary, in all honesty I think it has a larger impact on us as individuals than those we serve. As I have already stated, the details we accomplish on our trips contribute to the overarching progress of rebuilding New Orleans. However, the problems we indirectly help are problems everywhere. Racial disparities, economic instability, violence, discrimination are all examples of attributes very prevalent in New Orleans, but all over the world as well. I find it sad that it takes a natural disaster for outsiders to come and volunteer their time time to problems we face every day. But this is reality, and it takes a Mission Trip to realize it.

Thank y'all again for an amazing week. I love each and every one of you:)

erica craddock