Blog Updates sent via Email

It is now possible to receive blog updates via email. Once a day, you will receive an single convenient email with all the updates from the previous 24 hours. No updates, no email. No spam, no ads, all blog and only blog.

To subscribe to this service, click the following link, enter the email address you want to use and you will get a confirmation email sent there. Confirm the email and you will be subscribed. There is an unsubscribe link included in every email.

Subscribe to Macalester-Plymouth Youth Mission News by Email

Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Big First Day of Work

As has been clearly explained, today was big.

Not only did we do so much, but we felt so much. The first thing we felt was tired. Knocks on the door at 5:45 meant groans and hurries to get ready. We started the day at the St. Bernard Project headquarters where we were explained the importance of the work we are doing, and the scope of SBP's role in the Katrina recovery. We all shipped off to our respective work sites. For me it was a large garden at a charter school where we pulled weeds for four hours and restored peace to a few rows of vegetables. We ate lunch and bussed over to the Magnolia center for developmentally disabled adults. This was a very new experience for me and a huge step out of my comfort zone. I wanted to be friendly and offer my companionship, while trying very hard not to be condescending because I know how it feels to be on the other end of that. The ice was broken and a few of us worked with some of the adults using paint and stamps to make wrapping paper. There were a lot of great characters at Magnolia and I look forward to hopefully seeing them again tomorrow. At the end of the day (as has been extensively covered) we took the prayer tour. Now while you might be sick of hearing about it, i would like to give my perspective on the tour. We essentially drove around the city and stopped at a few different places that are integral in the Katrina story and the New Orleans experience. First we stopped at the Superdome, where thousands sought refuge in the aftermath of the storm. While it was explained that the dome and the team became beacons of hope after Katrina I felt completely separated from the emotions that the place evoked for the locals. Next we stopped at the place where the levee broke on the lower 9th ward. This was extraordinary, and as I remarked, it was probably the most important wall I have ever seen. This stop and the driving around in the lower 9th gave me insight on the impact that Katrina truly had and how much still had to be done. I thought I knew before we left that there was more to be done, but it was nothing like actually seeing it. Throughout the tour I had one of the longest deep conversations of my life with Paul about what we were seeing, and what impact we had on it. Our final stop, as you have heard the most about. Was at St. Anne's Episcopal church, where right out front they had a wall, with a list of all of the people that had been murdered in New Orleans since 2007 I believe. Each year encompassed four long columns of names, dates, ages, and causes. It was horrible, truly horrible. You saw: 32 shot. 58 shot. 0 shot. 2 abuse. In addition to the printed out walls there was a cardboard wall for this year, 2014. It was the first thing I saw and it literally took my breath away. It was so long, and the realization that we are not even halfway into the 6th month of the year. Four or five people died two days ago. That was emotional for me. And I agree with Lian. I can't possibly understand, but for me just knowing was enough to make me cry. Knowing that this happened, was happening. Kids losing parents, parents losing their kids. Once we got back on the bus I wrote a poem in my head:

It is Tuesday, June 10th, 2014
And on the wall at St. Anne's
There are 72 names
I wear my tears on my face
For those 72
On the wall at St. Anne's

Sending lots of love back home,
Ben

2 comments:

Maggie P. said...

Big day, big week. Thanks to each of you for sharing the devastating way that the prayer wall impacted you and for helping those of us sitting back here in our comfortable houses have a glimpse of the larger world you are experiencing. I hope that you can feel the love flowing toward you from here, and that you can see that your presence there really matters -- to those people you worked with at the center, to the people who will enjoy the vegetables from the gardens you worked on, and to your own individual growth as citizens of the world,

Keep participating and learning, keep drinking water, keep writing.

Love to you all -- Maggie

Anne Bushnell said...

Sending lots of love right back at you, all of you. Thanks for taking the time to give us a glimpse.