Blog Updates sent via Email

It is now possible to receive blog updates via email. Once a day, you will receive an single convenient email with all the updates from the previous 24 hours. No updates, no email. No spam, no ads, all blog and only blog.

To subscribe to this service, click the following link, enter the email address you want to use and you will get a confirmation email sent there. Confirm the email and you will be subscribed. There is an unsubscribe link included in every email.

Subscribe to Macalester-Plymouth Youth Mission News by Email

Thursday, June 21, 2012

Hey Everyone!
This is Kelly. My first blog on my first out-of-state mission trip.
     First of all, this whole experience has been amazing. I didn't know what to expect but the unexpected has always intruiged me. Sleeping on the floor is nothing new to me but I have been having an issue with my pool floaty squeaking everytime I move. The work we have been doing has been incredibly rewarding. The homeowner, Rick, is a blast to work with. He helps out in anyway that he can. His kids, Zach and Cassie, are always up for a conversation with the strangers trampling through their house. Or in Zach's case, up for beating me in chess with only four moves!
     The first day, I could be found in the front of the house sheathing the front porch. The second day was a day filled with many little tasks and then in order to stay out of others way, I swept the front porch. I believe I filled a garbage bag full of dust and construction scraps. Wednesday was window day. Rose, Simon, and I (with the help and guidance of Rick) removed the old windows on the north side of the house. This required the use of hammers, crowbars, stepladders, sledgehammers, sawzall, and a sawzall with a special blade used to cut through metal. Thats right I got to cut through metal with a power tool. As my dad would say, "Everybody better run and hide!"
     Not only have I been gaining valuable construction skills, I have been bonding with some really great people. Yes, the youth group and adult leaders are amazing, but I am also referring to Rick and his family. Rick had been replaced at his job, after taking time for surgery. Three days after returning home, the tornado hit his house and turned his life around. Even after this tragedy, the atmosphere is always more alive when he enters the room. His pure joy and thankfulness are so warming of the heart, I can't help but fall in love with the rebuilding of his house. I find myself getting excited for new windows, and anxious about delays in weather. I know we aren't going to finish his house before leaving Joplin, but knowing and seeing how much our time and sweat means to Rick and his family is more fulfilling than anything I have ever accomplished in the past.
Thanks,
Kelly T.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Kelly,
Glad to hear that all is going well in Joplin. The pics sure make it look like you know what you're doing in the construction world!

So, is Rick the guy with the blond ponytail? I saw some people that I didn't recognize and was tryign to put names with faces.

Take care. . .
Love,
Your Mother