Blog Updates sent via Email

It is now possible to receive blog updates via email. Once a day, you will receive an single convenient email with all the updates from the previous 24 hours. No updates, no email. No spam, no ads, all blog and only blog.

To subscribe to this service, click the following link, enter the email address you want to use and you will get a confirmation email sent there. Confirm the email and you will be subscribed. There is an unsubscribe link included in every email.

Subscribe to Macalester-Plymouth Youth Mission News by Email

Thursday, June 21, 2012

Hey Everybody,

So in all four Mission Trips I have never written a blog post, but I figured since this is my last year I better fix that. And my mom made me promise that I would post something, so here yah go:

We have all had a lot of fun on this trip so far. I enjoyed all the other trips too, but this year we got to do construction! I know everybody has learned so many new things from using circular saws, to insulating walls, to framing windows, but the biggest thing I think I have learned was acceptance and open-mindedness.

I'm sure you have all heard about the differences between our church and the Next Step Ministries. They are very found of long services and constant prayer; not things us Mac-P kids are so used to. Honestly, and for who knows what reason, I always assumed people who were intensely religious were automatically prejudiced and condemning. But, during the service the other night, I got to thinking how maybe it's really me who is the judgemental, critical person.

Sure, at times their prayers can feel forceful and their sermons strident, but does that make them bad? The Next Step people are doing some amazing work here, shouldn't that be all that matters? In one of her prayers, Brittany, the lead singer in the worship band, said "I hope we can come together in our different denominations and just do good work". I think that comment was more open-hearted than I have been towards their practices all week. Marsha mentioned during one of our discussions how we think of the world too much as "us and them". But I think that is a mistake because, now more than ever, the world needs to be united.

Anyway, sometimes I think we can learn more from people we strongly disagree with than those that share our views, as long as we are willing to listen. See you all soon! And mom, is this acceptable?

Rose Lundy

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your words brought tears of joy to my eyes . . . Thanks, Rose
From: Mary B. (Mother of KT and DT)

Tanya said...

Wow-you hit that one right on the head! You sure sound ready to go into the big world and make a difference. What a blessing.