Blog Updates sent via Email

It is now possible to receive blog updates via email. Once a day, you will receive an single convenient email with all the updates from the previous 24 hours. No updates, no email. No spam, no ads, all blog and only blog.

To subscribe to this service, click the following link, enter the email address you want to use and you will get a confirmation email sent there. Confirm the email and you will be subscribed. There is an unsubscribe link included in every email.

Subscribe to Macalester-Plymouth Youth Mission News by Email

Monday, June 21, 2010

Hey Everyone!

Today was a great day!! Part of the group went to cross street ministries, which provides food and showers and clothing for homeless people in Tuscon. Many of these homeless people are migrants-- the majority of whom are un-documented. It was so touching to hear all of the people who came though say their thanks and say that we were made their day. I was most touched by these two little girls who were there with their mother. It was very sad to see that they had to live in a situation where they needed to be receiving food for this ministry. Cross street ministries also provides day labor for workers on a lottery basis. It was so interesting to see a truck to drive up looking for a worker(s) and see about 30 day workers run to the truck to hope to get to work. I am amazed at their persistence to keep trying to get work here in the United States. And the jobs that they are trying to get are not fun jobs. For example, today I also had to do some intense yard work for the BorderLinks facility and about every 10 minuets I needed to take a water break. The jobs that the migrants work at probably don't allow them to take these water breaks. Every time I would complain about the heat, I would think about those men who ran to the truck so eager for work.

John Fife came and talked to us about the sanctuary movement he started in the 1980s. It was so amazing to hear him talk about what he did!!

It's funny, I came down to Arizona and I thought that I new a far amount of information about the boarder issues, but it turns outs, I basically knew nothing. Which just goes to show that if we all became informed about the boarder issues, we would be able to better solve the issues.

I also thought that it was interesting that there were two police cars outside of the public pool we went to tonight. I wonder if that has anything to do with the new immigration law...

I hope everyone is having a wonderful week!! I will write more later!

Clara

Ps-- Hey to the fam and I love you!

3 comments:

Natasha said...

Hi Clara and All,
It is so cool to hear about your trip! I am so proud of you for embarking on such a difficult but meaningful mission.
Much Love,
Natasha

Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work and we all love you too Clara
the fam.

Anonymous said...

Like your posts. Yes, you can study about issues - read about them - but, nothing like experiencing them up close and personal.

Thinking of you.

arpy and gang :-)