Blog Updates sent via Email

It is now possible to receive blog updates via email. Once a day, you will receive an single convenient email with all the updates from the previous 24 hours. No updates, no email. No spam, no ads, all blog and only blog.

To subscribe to this service, click the following link, enter the email address you want to use and you will get a confirmation email sent there. Confirm the email and you will be subscribed. There is an unsubscribe link included in every email.

Subscribe to Macalester-Plymouth Youth Mission News by Email

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

touring the city, meeting people

I am finally getting out into the community and learning the real stories;
On Tuesday we went to the love kitchen to serve food to the homeless. It was a small church and a small project, but I was glad to be there none the less. I remember the first man that came in, who sat in a corner, eating silently. There were too many of us for the job at that point and we were bombarding him with questions; do you need something to drink? Do you want some butter? Need any salt?
It soon became apparent that he was content with the meal and there was not much we could do for him. Slowly, we went back to our jobs. But as we continued working, I felt there was something left unfinished. Going back, I saw that he could use someone to talk to. And, bucking up my courage, i decided i was the one to do that.
I sat down and began making light conversation with this man, Peter.
"Where are you from?" I asked
"Nebraska"
And that's all that was needed (Nebraska is my home away from home). I learned that Peter and i had much more in common than i would have thought. I made a new friend that day, and i made someone smile. I will keep him in my prayers.

Later that day we went to the Sun Valley Neighborhood Projects in West Denver to hand out flyers for a barbecue at a local church (the Myx). I felt obnoxious at first, and was a little put-off when the first three houses i went to had their screen doors locked. Instead i met people on the street, talking to them and inviting them to the party. Generally, the people i talked to were very friendly. I was happy to see a few familiar faces turn up, and i made many new friends.
I met John, Mark and Paul (haha) in the line for the hamburgers, three adorable little brothers with a few teeth missing and huge smiles. I had a lot of fun with Mark, who would simply look around, smiling. I also got to talk to Devonte and Chris, two boys going into 7th grade who were already taller than me (what?!). I ate dinner in the play area behind the church with Jenae and her 4 siblings. I was inspired by the patience she had for the little siblings she had to look after, and her light spirit.
It seemed that every where i looked there were people happy to talk to me, people laughing, people playing, people opening up to strangers they may not have otherwise trusted. This building, blasting hip-hop, had not looked very much like a church to me, but as i looked around, and i saw these people, these perfect strangers and new friends, i saw God.

Bye!
-Sari

No comments: