Blog Updates sent via Email

It is now possible to receive blog updates via email. Once a day, you will receive an single convenient email with all the updates from the previous 24 hours. No updates, no email. No spam, no ads, all blog and only blog.

To subscribe to this service, click the following link, enter the email address you want to use and you will get a confirmation email sent there. Confirm the email and you will be subscribed. There is an unsubscribe link included in every email.

Subscribe to Macalester-Plymouth Youth Mission News by Email

Monday, June 20, 2011

Day One

Today was really fun!
My group (Charlie, Aiden, Gianna, Hannah, Marsh and myself) went to Sunshine Academy to work with little children.
We arrived at 8:45 and got to work.
Charlie and I stayed with the two littlest kids while everyone else worked with the slightly older children and the two main staff members.
The kids were really mean to Charlie... they threw blocks at him and tackled him 24/7... it was honestly hilarious.
We had 3 hours of free time due to the fact that the kids had to nap. We first went to the Santa Fe Art District and walked around there for about an hour.
We then went back to the church and napped in the middle of the dining room floor. It was the most relaxing nap I've had in a while.
We returned to the Academy at 2:15 and did the same thing we did in the morning pretty much. This kid kept kicking me though... it hurt he was a strong kid!
I also helped a girl who had shut her finger in a door and her nail had pretty much come off. She was a twin too! So I told her about Maddie and Julia and helped distract her from the pain. It was sad because they didn't have health insurance and the mom couldn't be there until 6:30 because she was working.
Over all it was a good day... I'm really tired though...
Tomorrow my group and I are painting houses. Can't wait! :)
-Lily Schafer

3 comments:

Lee the Former Scapegoat said...

Why didn't you protect Charlie? I hope your napping gives you the energy you will need to paint all day tomorrow. Thanks for doing good work and helping the little girl with her pain. LU

Lee the Former Scapegoat said...

Not really Lee - the note was from Tanya aka Mom

Maggie P. said...

Who could be mean to any of you? Thanks, Lily, for your note, and thanks for your kindness to a little girl. I'm sure that it really, really helped.