Blog Updates sent via Email

It is now possible to receive blog updates via email. Once a day, you will receive an single convenient email with all the updates from the previous 24 hours. No updates, no email. No spam, no ads, all blog and only blog.

To subscribe to this service, click the following link, enter the email address you want to use and you will get a confirmation email sent there. Confirm the email and you will be subscribed. There is an unsubscribe link included in every email.

Subscribe to Macalester-Plymouth Youth Mission News by Email

Monday, June 20, 2011

keeping hope

Hey everyone!
Today, while packing boxes at the food shelf, I struck up a conversation with my partner, another woman volunteer. She was volunteering with an addict program and told me her story of slowly becoming an alcoholic and her realization that her life was out of control. As she spoke, I had this mounting sense of pride for her. In my lifetime,Ii have met a few addicts, but even fewer who admit to it, or believe that they can fight their way out of it.
I immediately thought of my dear cousin-once-removed who was the son of a drug addict. I held so much anger towards his mother, not for what she was doing to herself but for what she was doing to her son. I am glad that he has found a new home and a wonderful person to call "mom".
The woman i was working with says that she had joined rehab for her husband (they married less than a year ago), and worried that the two years she was spending in the program to save her marriage would cause it to fall apart. She said she cried every night thinking about how her husband night leave her. I didn't know how to tell her to have hope; i am just another person, just as lost and confused. Maybe that alone is comforting.
I wish her the best, and am honored to have met such an amazing and brave individual.

-Sari

2 comments:

x said...

Your story reminds me of something I learned recently. Its not so much doing something for someone, or even doing with them; its BEING WITH someone that counts. Words from Don C who was recently part of an accompaniment program in Colombia.

x said...

News from home: Twins keep winning. Baker got a shutout on Sat., Butera got the game winning hit in the last inning on Sunday.