Blog Updates sent via Email

It is now possible to receive blog updates via email. Once a day, you will receive an single convenient email with all the updates from the previous 24 hours. No updates, no email. No spam, no ads, all blog and only blog.

To subscribe to this service, click the following link, enter the email address you want to use and you will get a confirmation email sent there. Confirm the email and you will be subscribed. There is an unsubscribe link included in every email.

Subscribe to Macalester-Plymouth Youth Mission News by Email

Thursday, June 18, 2015

"We get more than we give"

I heard myself say this today when we were thanked by yet another person for "sacrificing yourselves and your time to come help our community."

"We get more than we give," I replied.

Was that true? Or was I just responding with a common platitude, though one I don't remember using before.

Well, what have we given? Yes, our time. We've all taken this full week away from jobs, families and -- in some cases, multiple grad parties -- to help rebuild homes destroyed by Superstorm Sandy. "Sandy" is referenced so often with one moniker that I sometimes expect her to walk into the room some night.

Two-and-half years after her actual arrival on the Atlantic coast, her presence is still very deeply felt. The senior couple who is benefiting from my team's house-rebuild lost everything and have been living in a subsidized apartment until they get their home back. They may or may not have fallen victim to insurance fraud. Or perhaps they didn't have insurance because their home was paid off and flood insurance was not required. Or they were bilked by a fraudulent contractor. In any case, their home went under 3+ feet of water after they wisely evacuated -- and they don't have a home, appliances or furniture.

When we leave, Mary and Jim will be that much closer to having their home back. (And my rotator cuff will be that much closer to getting back into shape after endless sanding of dried mud on drywall.) We have been part of giving them that through our time and our elbow grease.

But we have been given much more.

I must first include community. While it has been rightly pointed out that "community living" is not always easy, it also provides an extraordinary sense of security. Having slept overnight on a bus with these people, and negotiated showers built into a church school stage (I'm not kidding), and shared prayers and personal stories as we've woven down the Garden State Parkway, I know that these people have my back. I will miss them next week.

I then think of gaining a deep sense of purpose. When Mary declared delight in seeing more walls and fewer 2x4's, many of us felt a palpable sense of accomplishment. We have made a contribution to joy in another person's soul.

My confidence has grown yet again for what our youth today represent for our future. What wonderful children we have in our congregation! They are curious, intelligent in many ways, compassionate, empathetic, patient, loving and creative. Our future is in wonderful hands.

I've been reminded that it is good to ask for help. When Mary offered to buy us lunch, we declined saying we were well-fed by the church. "But I want to show my gratitude!" said Mary. "I know you don't want to take any help. I know that. I used to be that way, too." She had already learned that we are all stronger when we work together. I am reminded of that again now, too.

Have to run now. We're having our evening reflection to discuss the question of the day: what do we bring to this experience? I look forward to what our beautiful youth have to say.







No comments: