Blog Updates sent via Email

It is now possible to receive blog updates via email. Once a day, you will receive an single convenient email with all the updates from the previous 24 hours. No updates, no email. No spam, no ads, all blog and only blog.

To subscribe to this service, click the following link, enter the email address you want to use and you will get a confirmation email sent there. Confirm the email and you will be subscribed. There is an unsubscribe link included in every email.

Subscribe to Macalester-Plymouth Youth Mission News by Email

Thursday, June 19, 2008

Play That Funky Music

First off I'd like to say that this trip has been pretty sweet. Coming back to New Orleans for a second time left me wondering how on earth this trip could match the last. After completing a good portion of it I'm glad to say it has :)

That being said, the whole reason I'm giving up my chill time to sit on a computer and type something is for reasons that no one expected. I, John Newsome, played and sang at "Snug Harbor", a famous jazz club on the outskirts of the French quarter.
Sitting at our work site, eating a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, and talking to a good group of 6 or 7 people, I mentioned the fact that I know how to play guitar. All of a sudden our site leader got all excited, and talked about a jazz club that our entire group should go to. Anyone who wanted to perform could get in free. After much arguing and a few black eyes (just kidding), we decided that me and Lee would go.
Walking into this place I did now know what to expect. I was told that I would be called to the stage. Suspense, anybody? We took a seat in the upper level and sipped on a cold delicious sprite as we watched the band play the blues. To put it bluntly, they were REALLY GOOD. I won't lie, I was feeling a little nervous. My last coffeeshop show drew 26 people, and I stopped counting at 100. Still, I was excited to go up there and do what I love.

"Is there a John in the house? A John in the house?" I stood up and walked to the stage. The band was all positive energy, and I knew right when I got up there that it was gonna be a fun time. Something just crept into me and I couldn't help but joke around with the audience a little before taking the guitar from the lead guitar player, "Detroit". "Take over for me, man" he said.
I went up and started playing a chord progression I had written last fall. The band joined in (making me sound better than I ever have before" and being in this confident state decided to sing a song I had written to these chords, called "When You Smile". The crowd was cheering and loving it. Afterwards I asked if I could do one more. This time I played a clever little song, but halfway through I forgot the words! I started making some up, and the crowd loved it. Leaving the stage I only wished I could have played an entire set. Like Lee said, "It'll be a long time before you play with a band this good again".

Not only have I gotten to rebuild New Orleans, but I've gotten to share my music. I think I can leave this week feeling complete.

~JNEW

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is a great story, John, about your willingness to go for it and be open to possibilities!

Anonymous said...

Hey, John, I'm reading this in Dunn Bros. sipping a smoothie; our computer is in the shop; hopefully it will be back tomorrow, too. You should be proud of yourself; I know I'm proud of you.